Baseball Season

Probably one of the finest days in my life was watching my son hit his first homerun on Father's day.  It was a perfect day for weekend travel ball spent with new friends on the team. I think he had 1 ball and 2 strikes.  He's usually patient at the plate, but he was talking all week about getting a homerun. High expectations and hopes are good but need to keep them in check. I kept telling him it would come when the plan was right.  CRACK! It was shot, trajectory still lifting mid center field, and fell deep in the woods behind the fence.  Glad the ball was found by kids from the opposite team helping me look.  What an heirloom.   Another great moment I remember was coaching little league watching Luke Wagner crack a shot to deep left field to help us win the game and secure the undefeated season.  He had worked so hard in practice and its true, hard work pays off.  His smile was priceless etched into my memory.  Of course the team age was 6 and 7 but it didn't matter as his contagious excitement made it feel like the world series was just won.  High 5's all around.  

Get your popcorn, get your peanuts, get your beer here!!  I'll have one of each, honey what do you want?  Nothing says the change of winter to spring/summer like the coming of baseball.  Smells of outside like fresh cut green grass, leather mitt, water mist wetting the turf, and concession food are all treasures. Sun on your face and warmth filling your soul.  Just being happy and loving a moment of enjoyment. Kids surrounding the bullpen and other areas for autographs. Very proud to sing the national anthem.  No politics, no cancel culture, no crazy and useless instagramming or facebooking, no 24/7/365 newscycle where messages have no uplift or spiritual build.  Just pure joyous moments in time with friends or family enjoying a day at the field.  PLAY BALL!!  What do you mean BLUE??  He was safe, do you want my glasses?  Strike 3 you're out, wait he's going home, I don't believe it.  Pirates won, Pirates won the pennant!! Ok, maybe I'm dreaming a little too much.  

There were also many times of defeat, not enough practice time to help, parents complaining, and rain.  Times that I wish I could have handled better as a coach and times I hoped we could have risen to a higher morale character.  But playing ball in the rain is and was the worst.  However it is all perfect when perspective is balanced.  Curve balls can be hit.  Jack was once pitching at Cal Ripken in Tennessee in the rain and was throwing both heat and accuracy keeping the opponent in check with no runs.  I asked him how he kept pitching well and he said "I had the song Purple Rain in my mind".  Amazing how most kids just flow with any circumstance, change, or obstacle. Wonderful to see them outside, especially the little kids with ketchup running down their chins from a yummy hot dog or fresh cut fries.  No video games, no TV allowed.  

I have no idea whether Jesus would have enjoyed baseball or not.  My hunch is this.  He would say, "anything we can do to bring joy to other's lives is a worthy and noble endeavor".  Romans 5 speaks to making ourselves right in faith and true believing.  I guess if we can cross our fingers and say a prayer for a walk off, then perhaps we can feel the same about and in Jesus.  He will always bring you home. 

Todd Gibson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Fall Asleep

The Cry of Our Souls

Dinner Conversations