February 18th: Laurel Clapper

Image result for gods house

Psalm 27:1,4 

 

The LORD is my light and my salvation; 
          whom shall I fear? 
     The LORD is the stronghold of my life; 
          of whom shall I be afraid?

 

One thing I asked of the LORD, 
          that will I seek after: 
     to live in the house of the LORD 
          all the days of my life, 
     to behold the beauty of the LORD, 
          and to inquire in his temple.

 

 

 

I love my house.  It’s the type of house that is full of hand-me-down furniture where nothing matches.  It’s the kind of house that is decorated with family photos, thrift store finds, and arts and crafts.  The longer we live in this house, the more like home it feels.  This is the first house we have owned and it was so nicely finished and clean when we moved in.  Now, when I look at the scuff marks on the wall, I am almost proud because they were made by us because this is our house.  We have been spending time at home more this year.  This house is a safe space for us.  

 

What does it mean to live in God’s house?  In Exodus 25:8 God says, “Have the people of Israel build me a holy sanctuary so I can live among them.” So, the Hebrews built the tabernacle, a house for God.  But we know that God does not live in a house or a temple or our church building.  Jesus says, “Live in me as I live in you.”  God’s house is that place in our hearts where we are safe and loved and forgiven and at rest.  It is a place we strive to get back to when we wander away.  Like the Psalmist, we are always seeking to go home and fully reside in God, our stronghold.  Today, if you are fearful, if you are sad, if you are lonely… go to God’s house.  He will meet you there.

 

Indwelling God, thank you for being our refuge and stronghold in troubled times.  Help us to find our way to you when we are sad or afraid.  Help us to know your door is always open to us.  Amen.


Laurel Clapper

Comments

  1. We love our home too. Many of us are fortunate to have a comfortable place to call home especially with having to be in it a lot lately. Knowing that I am loved by my creator and that I have a place in his heart and his kingdom gives me a sense of comfort and peace that no earthly home will ever be able to give.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Fall Asleep

The Cry of Our Souls

Dinner Conversations