Come and See the Steadfast God


 

Scripture:

Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.” Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and See.”  (John 1: 45-46 NRSV)

 

Devotional Thought:

One of the joys of being a parent, a grandparent, or an early childhood educator is the experience of a small child grabbing you by the hand and tugging you off to “Come and See”. “Come and see, Mommy.” “Come and see, Mamaw”.  “Come and see, Teacher”.  The sparkle in their eyes, the enthusiasm in their gestures, the awe they exude. Sometimes it is to see something created and sometimes something newly discovered. These are the moments missed most during COVID while unable to be physically with children. I regret those moments when I like so many busy adults reply, “Just a minute” or “Wait I am working.” or “That’s nice” in an uninterested tone.

 

In this scripture, I see Philip as the young child filled with awe, enthusiasm and excitement wanting to share Jesus with his friend. He runs to his friend, Nathanael, who responds with questioning doubt maybe not even wanting to be bothered. But Philip persists, “Come and See.”

 

I wonder when in our spiritual lives we have become less like Philip and more like Nathanael.

I wonder when we started to take the awesomeness of God for granted.

I wonder how this Lenten season we can be more like Philip in our witness to our steadfast God.

 

Prayer:

Dear Lord,

May your Spirit fill us with the awe and wonder of a young child as we journey with you this Lenten season. Help us to freely share with others your great steadfastness. Help us to respond to the tugs of others as they share your greatness with us.

Amen.

 

Thoughts for my younger friends after the scripture is read to them:

I wonder what Philip and Nathanael looked like. Draw a picture.

I wonder what you would tell a friend about Jesus.

I wonder how you would show Jesus to a friend.

 

 

By Lynne Pabst

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Fall Asleep

The Cry of Our Souls

Dinner Conversations